January is a built-in fresh start. We make resolutions about how to do it (whatever it is) differently, better, this year. If that resolutions involves organizing, I’ve got some advice for you. Actually, I have lots of advice, tips, strategies, and systems. We won’t go into all of those today. I’ll give you tips all year long, usually on Tuesdays.
But here’s where I want you to start. Before you begin working on getting clutter out of the house, keep more clutter from coming in. Start with mail: snail mail, email, junk mail, magazines, and catalogs.
- Cancel magazine and newspaper subscriptions you don’t actually read.
- Opt out of prescreened credit, insurance offers, and direct mail.
- Unsubscribe from emails (or lessen the frequency of mailings).
- Listserves and mailing lists — Set them to web only or unsubscribe altogether.
- Mailing lists from stores and services
- Blogs you don’t read
- Notifications from social networks — Do you really need to know every time a new friend joins Pinterest?
There’s more you could do. If you want to get really serious, you can try Inbox to Zero. For a start, just opt out.
If you would like decluttering, organizing, or design help from spaceWise, call 512-591-8129 to get started.
Image by dae-mon1