Getting organized can be overwhelming, but so is walking into your house and seeing piles every day.
Here are six simple steps to start getting organized:
- Pick one area. It doesn’t even have to be a whole room. Pick a closet or a drawer.
- Get rid of what doesn’t belong in that area. If you’ve got items in your closet that should be in your bathroom, move them. If you need to completely get rid of things by donating, throwing away or recycling, declutter your area before trying to organize what should stay there. See To Keep or Not to Keep? for tips on how to do this.
- Determine whether there’s anything that should be there but isn’t. Maybe you’ve had half of your makeup in a bin below the sink and another set on the counter. Bring what will be used or stored in the area you’re organizing to that area.
- Once you have everything together that should be there, put like with like–whether you’re gathering lipstick or short sleeved shirts. You can further refine your categories if need be. For instance, you might want to arrange your shirts by color, or you might want to combine makeup you use in the day into one area and products you use at night into another.
- Arrange your categories so they’re easy to get to and easy to put away. If you store too much or don’t have categories, you’re going to start stuffing random things back into places, which is how things got so jumbled in the first place. The saying about having a place for everything and putting everything in its place applies here. It is the key to staying organized. If you walk around your house and investigate what kind of clutter collects and why it’s there, you will find piles of things that don’t have a home or that are hard to put away (or find once you’ve put them away).
- Use organizers to hold your items. You might need a plastic drawer organizer or a bin in the closet. Don’t buy the organizers before you’ve figured out what you need to store. Wait until you know where you’re keeping items and what kind of containers you need, then go shopping (at a store or for items around your house that you can repurpose as just the kind of storage you need now).
- Store what you use together together.
If you would like decluttering, organizing, or design help from spaceWise, call 512-591-8129 to get started.